LIBRARY SERVICES OFFICE (LSO)
The Library Services Office (LSO) is a mandatory component of the institution especially designed to provide library needs and services of all the students and its academic community. It is headed by a qualified School Librarian who is directly under the Office of Student Affairs and Services (OSAS) imbued with all the powers, rights, duties and responsibilities stipulated by the existing laws of the Republic of the Philippines, as well as the rules and regulations of the school.
The School Librarian shall hold at least a master’s degree, or whenever possible a doctoral degree, with specialization in Library and Information Science (LIS) or its equivalent, and, where applicable, a professional license requiring at least a bachelor’s degree. He/she must have at least five (5) years of satisfactory training and administrative experience in the field of Library and Information Science (LIS).
Philosophy of the LSO
The Library Services Office (LSO) of Samar College under the Office of Student Affairs and Services (OSAS) believes that it is the “beating heart” of the institution, the center for learning and information that when fully and properly utilized brings about a world of varied opportunities for personal and professional growth and development to those who are immersed in it.
Goal of the LSO
As an important component of the institution, the Library Services Office (LSO) of Samar College intends to fully meet the educational demands and needs of the institution and its clienteles for a much higher degree of learning to bring about a world of varied opportunities for personal and professional growth and development.
Objectives of the LSO
- To provide and maintain appropriate facilities and equipment that will enable users to fully utilize the library resources and services;
- To acquaint the users on how to use the library system using barcode for proper identification of library materials and resources, including its clienteles;
- To secure books that are required per program offering and other library materials 61 62 needed to support the overall library collections acquired through purchase, as gifts, exchange or donation;
- To re-design or identify the different areas or sections of the library that encourage learning for its clienteles; and
- To improve library staffing and support professional development for its staff in order to produce a competitive staff that will guide students and other researchers toward lifelong learning.
Functions of the School Librarian of the LSO
- Keep records on the updated lists of library collections per program per college;
- Ensure that the reference materials within its collections are aligned with the expected collections per program per college;
- Supervise paraprofessionals that comprise the library staff, including student assistants;
- Manage the planning, administrative functions of the library and information services;
- Maintain the proper organization of the library materials based on the applied library system; and
- Provide library services corresponding to the needs of the library users.
- General library references services
- Library orientation
- In-house reference assistance
- Individual/private study or research
LocationMain/Graduate Library 2nd Floor Administration Building
CAS Library 2nd Floor Founders’ Building
Service HoursCollege/Main Library
Monday – Friday 7:00AM - 12:00AM
1:00PM - 7:00PM
Saturday 7:30AM - 5:00PM
Book LoansOver noon loan out for photocopying services
Library CollectionsGeneral Reference Materials
Subject Reference Materials
Schedule of Services
Thesis and Dissertations